> However, PPC Macs are a dead end, and getting deader every day; unless the
> G5 literally falls into your lap, spend the extra bucks and get an intel
> iMac or Mini.

I can echo this.
My desktop (PPC G5 1.8 GHz, 2GB) has been in once for the video chip issues
(and should go in again) and it's grumbling about it's capacitors "just not
working like they used to" - I have to restart the thing multiple
times/day...which was fine as I had my PowerBookG4....but *that *has now
died (won't recognise the HD on startup, other computers can't 'grab' it, I
still want to try and save my info on there).....so I'm down to the week old
iPod Touch and this hobbling PPC desktop.
Indeed, my needs are increasing (starting a new business) and I'll be
getting a new Mac Book Pro as soon as I can spend the change....but in my
investigation in what my next step would be, I did find that any PPC model
is quite limiting.
If I had just email, surfing and some composing to do, and I found a PPC
machine for under $300 that I had confidence in, I'd probably get it. But I
love thrift store-ing and garage sale-ing and have, at times, accumulated a
bunch of *stuff*,...so take that sound advice as you will.
Good luck!
To us all!
---Ramey