So does this mean that you can run Classic on an Intel iMac? Is that what I'm understanding here? Are you kidding?
On Mar 9, 2011, at 4:45 PM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

I'll take a moment of mad doctor exhultation: I succeeded in getting OS X 10.4 running on my new 27" iMac!

<http://dbdev2.pharmacy.arizona.edu/miscjunk/shipinabottleinabottle.png >

:-)

I got PearPC running in a Windows 7 Virtualbox VM.

I used this package:

<http://www.pearpc.net/pearpc_net_package.php>

Some gotchas:

If you have mouse integration turned on in VirtualBox, the mouse in PearPC flat out won't work; you have to turn it off.

The G4 processor option worked during the install, but PearPC would crash every time trying to boot from the installed system. Changing that to a G3 emulation fixed it.

The initial OS X install dialog, where you choose the language, for some reason did not display the icon to continue; hitting enter made it work.

Networking does not work currently, but that's because networking needs tun/tap virtual network interface system installed.

<http://openvpn.se/development.html>

I'll have to play with it a bit.

It appears you cannot compile PearPC under Xcode because it doesn't like the assembler bits; you can compile it, but the just-in-time compiler port of PearPC, responsible for much of it's speed, has to be excluded. This makes the emulated system exceedingly slow.

As it is, it feels like about a 450-500 mhz smurf to me right now; given that this is a 2.93 Ghz quad-core i7 with 8 gigs of RAM, that should give you an idea how it might work on your system.

I'm now going to investigate if I might not have a more efficient host for the PearPC, looking for a lighter-weight Linux host in VirtualBox and see if I can't get the performance up a wee bit.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

You received this message because you are a member of the iMac Group, a group for those using Apple iMacs and eMacs. The list FAQ is at http://lowendmac.com/imac/list.shtml and our netiquette guide is at http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/netiquette.shtml