On Mar 23, 2011, at 5:13 PM, william wrote:

> Basically I'm just wondering whether a 64-bit os is a big deal? My instinct
> is to get an intel imac as cheaply as possible, but i might change my mind if
> there is substantial advantage in having the c2d. Thanks much!

The biggest advantage is that a Core 2 Duo or better will be required to run OS
X 10.7 Lion, due out this summer. That's not gospel, yet, but that's what
people who are working with Apple as developers have been saying. So if that's
true, then the advantage is in being able to use the latest OS. There are a lot
of Core 2 Duo machines out there that can be had for less than $1,000, so there
are lots of options where buying "cheaply" is concerned,

Jim Scott