On Mar 23, 2011, at 5:55 PM, Carol McKee wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2011, at 5:13 PM, william wrote:
>
>> Basically I'm just wondering whether a 64-bit os is a big deal? My instinct
>> is to get an intel imac as cheaply as possible, but i might change my mind
>> if there is substantial advantage in having the c2d. Thanks much!
>
> How do you know if you have a core2duo and 64 bit os?

About This Mac shows the processor type and speed.

System Profiler also shows this if you select the Hardware heading:

Hardware Overview:

  Model Name:   iMac
  Model Identifier:     iMac11,3
  Processor Name:       Intel Core i7
  Processor Speed:      2.93 GHz
  Number Of Processors: 1
  Total Number Of Cores:        4
  L2 Cache (per core):  256 KB
  L3 Cache:     8 MB
  Memory:       8 GB
  Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
  Boot ROM Version:     IM112.0057.B00
  SMC Version (system): 1.59f2
  Serial Number (system):       QP03914RDNR
  Hardware UUID:        24E8212D-0FF1-5975-B5BB-03FA24685E14

If you select the Software heading it'll tell you details about the OS:

System Software Overview:

  System Version:       Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
  Kernel Version:       Darwin 10.7.0
  Boot Volume:  Macintosh HD
  Boot Mode:    Normal
  Computer Name:        DBDEV2
  User Name:    Bruce Johnson (johnson)
  Secure Virtual Memory:        Enabled
  64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
  Time since boot:      20:51

I'm not sure why my system isn't booting in 64-bit; I thought it was on by
default in 10.6...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona