On Apr 8, 2011, at 10:21 AM, gifutiger wrote:

> I use "Century" Duster, Air-in-a-can.
> In the electronic industry (manufacturing and repair) we always used
> compressed air, or some kind of caned air.

A couple caveats:

if you use compressed air from a shop compressor you MUST ABSOLUTELY have a
filter and a moisture/oil trap on it or the magic smoke can escape.

If you use canned air, particularly in humid environments, use short bursts,
and allow the device to come to room temp and evaporate any condensed water
before turning it on or the magic smoke can escape.

And, alas, the magic smoke refills on sale last week seems to be out of
stock...:-)

Also Costco has a good price on large cans of air in 4-packs.

Finally, when dusting out strange or new computers it's always helpful to do so
out of doors. I have evicted live spiders with canned air in the past, and even
the normal dust rhinoceroses can be quite messy if evicted inside.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona