On Oct 13, 2011, at 6:38 AM, Bob Archambault wrote:

The other day, I picked up an old iMac G3 266 "Grape". The seller of
the machine showed me that it worked on premises, and particularly
noted how the color of the desktop (Mac OS 9.2.2) matched the case
color. He then proceeded to tell me that OS 9, upon installation,
"reads the codes" of the computer (from ROM, I presume) and
automatically sets the desktop to the matching color.

NewWorld Macs use a Mac OS ROM file, but the parameter RAM (PRAM) could store a 'flavor' ID.

Can anyone actually confirm this to be true? Or was this guy just
BSing me?

Someone made a hack that customized the colors of Jasik's Debugger based on which flavor Mac it was running on, so I'm pretty sure this is real, if poorly documented.

However, it's possible that the behavior described only works with the Mac OS installer that shipped with the iMac/iBook, and that retail versions don't do this.

Josh