Greetings Bruce,

The startup chime is meant to indicate that the boot prom has run a
quick and dirty memory test on the installed memory and the test has
passed. If there isn't a chime the memory didn't pass the test.

Therefor you should obtain a copy of Memtest.

Download Memtest

The testing setup isn’t terribly complex; I’ve taken the liberty of
putting together an installable package which will put the Memtest
utility into your /usr/bin/ folder. Memtest is a Unix command-line
program that does the memory testing, and is the Mac equivalent of
MemTest86.

Cheers,

Harry
San Jose, Ca