On 2011/11/08 08:02, JOHN CARMONNE so eloquently wrote:
My son and I have a new  iMac 27" Core i5 with Thunderbolt and FW 800.
He does  training videos for a big company that demands quick turnaround
I'm wondering if I get him a RAID system would FW800 be really fast or
is Thunder Bolt  fast enough to justify the very high price. Also I f we
go with the RAID how do we configure where the applications reside along
with the raw data, do we put the entire system on the RAID and boot from
it or boot from the internal drive and have all the applications and
video data on the RAID?

I'll take a shot at this and somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. Thunderbolt would be the fastest connection, but only you can decide if it's worth the money and once the data gets to your iMac the speed gain *might* be lost. Next would be eSata though I don't know anything about using eSata with a Mac, or if you even can; and then FW 800.

USB 3 is supposed to be pretty fast but compatibility with Macs can be a problem so I wouldn't recommend it.

Once the apps are launched they don't need a lot of bandwidth themselves to run, it's the read/write of the video that is time consuming. You will probably want SATA 6.0Gb/s drives for your RAID, set up in a 'striped' configuration. With more HDDs you can set up the RAID to be striped for speed and mirrored for redundancy.

Wikipedia has a good entry for all the various types of RAID arrays here:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raid_array>

Tina

--

HP Presario 2.8GHz Celeron D 2GB RAM Discrete graphics XP Pro
iMac 20" USB 2 1.25GHz G4 2GB RAM GeForceFX5200 Ultra 64MB VRAM 10.4.11