On Nov 13, 2011, at 11:00 AM, JohnCarmonne wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2011, at 11:56 PM, Charles Lenington wrote:
>
>> On 11/11/11 6:01 PM, JohnCarmonne wrote:
>>> I have an iMac 20" 2.0 Core duo that will not run any Java programs. No
>>> matter what system I boot from I've tried external backups they work
>>> perfectly on my other machines I ran ASD 108 and it passed. AirPort and
>>> Ethernet do the same thing. The weather widget comes up blank and my
>>> Scottrade streaming Quotes won't work either each time I launch it just
>>> does nothing. Every other thing regarding internet communication works fine
>>> I've reinstalled till I'm blue in the face. I know it's a machine issue
>>> cause the externals do the same thing. Anyone seen this? Can the RAM do
>>> this?
>>>

> I started on this reply at midnight 12:00 AM PST so as you see I've been
> chasing this a while:-)
> This is getting weird here
>
> OS is 10.5.8 and now it's narrowed down to the Weather Applet in Dashboard,

Dashboard applets are JavaScript based NOT Java based. I just looked at the
contents of the Weather applet and it is indeed htmpl + javascript.

This is not to say you're having isues with Java, but using the Weather
Dashboard applet is not a way of testing it. Look at the Weather widget's
contents, it's an HTML file and a bunch of javascript source ( .js ) plus a
couple plists.

Possibly weird DNS issues?

To test Java use somethng you know is Java based and not network based, like
ImageJ: <http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/>

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona