On Dec 13, 2011, at 8:16 PM, Dan wrote:

>> this iMac was rock solid until recently I installed Sophos anti virus.
>> >From this moment I notice a lot of hard drive action in the background due
>> to Sophos av (I know this from looking at Sophos Icon in the menu bar).
>> Anyone has more info to shed some light on this...
>
> By default most AV softwares seem to check too much, I think.  That initial
> long scan is probably what you're seeing.  Tell it to stop. Then tell it to
> just watch your Download and Mail folders (specific places where an incoming
> file will land).

Sadly, unless Sophos has dramatically changed their product (and it's not
included with our Campus license) you cannot specify anything below the level
of mounted, internal volume to scan.

That's right, you can't even scan a USB thumb drive. :-(

Once upon a time Sophos was a good, unobtrusive AV "solution" for Macs. Alas,
they've not really improved the product in years. It's still mostly unobtrusive
(And you should just let it get it's scan done already), but it's not as usable
as ClamXAv.

>> It is with some redness in my face that I have to say that I installed
>> Sophos AV without any virus problems on my  iMac.
>
> That's ok.  Malware *is* becoming an issue for us.  It's time.  Best to be
> prepared.  We recommend either Sophos or ClamXav.

ClamXAv is working well for me; it keeps finding stuff (all PC viruses and
phishing mails) in my University mail account that MS's mighty mighty
Enterprise-grade BPOS lets through...(and note, that should be said in a voice
so dripping with acid sarcasm and disdain as to put an Alien queen to
shame....BPOS really is a Big Pile of S___ )

That said, I still don't run AV on any of my personal macs, haven't since the
demise of the late, great Disinfectant. Which, not coincidentally, about the
last time an actual Mac virus was widespread in the wild.
<http://www.autsys.com/sti/tech/autostart9805.html> Still have the MacAddict
disk they shipped infected with that one...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona