On Dec 14, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Joshua Juran wrote:

> On Dec 14, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>
>> That said, I still don't run AV on any of my personal macs, haven't since
>> the demise of the late, great Disinfectant. Which, not coincidentally, about
>> the last time an actual Mac virus was widespread in the wild.
>> <http://www.autsys.com/sti/tech/autostart9805.html> Still have the MacAddict
>> disk they shipped infected with that one...
>
> Is there any interest in resurrecting Disinfectant?  It might be useful to
> have support for removing the AutoStart worm or the ability to run it in OS X.

Not really, John Norstadt gave up chasing Word Macro viruses and retired the
project. <http://tidbits.com/article/4876>

He is, by the way, an amazing guy: <http://www.norstad.org/autobiography.html>

I expect that any modern AV product removes the autostart worm , after all,
it's not that much bother to include the 15 or so Mac viruses, ever, among the
hundreds of thousands of Windows threats.

The ability to run the Autostart worm in OS X might be intriguing....8-P

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona