On Jan 10, 2012, at 6:23 PM, John Carmonne wrote:

> On Jan 10, 2012, at 6:00 PM, Jim Scott wrote:
>

>> On Jan 10, 2012, at 8:03 AM, JOHN CARMONNE wrote:
>>
>>> I read on Everymac that the processors in the white iMacs are swappable. I
>>> have a iMac 20" 2.0 Core Duo and would like to put in a 2.16 Core 2 Duo.
>>> Has any one done this?
>>>
>>> John Carmonne
>>> Yorba Linda CA  92886
>>> From iMac Core Duo 2.0
>>
>> Yes, I've upgraded a Core Duo processor in a white iSight iMac to a Core 2
>> Duo processor. The processor fits into a socket and is thus removable.
>> That's the good news. The bad news is that you have to disassemble the iMac
>> to remove the logic board so you can get at the screws that clamp the heat
>> sink over the processor. It's an almost complete disassembly, so you would
>> be well advised to obtain an Apple service manual for the iMac in question.
>>
>> Don't forget to use fresh thermal paste -- I like Arctic Silver.
>>
>> If you're planning to do this so you can run OS X 10.7 Lion, you need to
>> understand that the Lion installer doesn't care a whit about what processor
>> you've installed. It looks for the Model Identifier in About This Mac
>> (iMac8,1, for example) and compares the one it finds with the list of models
>> on which Lion can be installed. So even if your upgraded now-Core 2 Duo iMac
>> otherwise runs perfectly, the Lion installer will not install directly and
>> will give you the old white circle with a slash screen to show its
>> displeasure.
>>
>> However, there is a workaround to get Lion up and running on
>> Lion-incompatible Intel Macs with Lion-compatible Core 2 Duo processor
>> upgrades. Here's a detailed explanation of how to do it I wrote last August
>> to explain how I did it to some clients who wanted me to upgrade their iMac
>> and their Mac Mini from Core Duo to Core 2 Duo.
>>
>> Here's the process. Keep in mind this was written in the very first days of
>> Lion, so you may already have a USB Lion thumb driver installer, and thus
>> can skip to Step 8:
>

> Thank you Jim for the details in line 9 and 10 they are very important to
> know. I've been using the thumb drives but haven't run into this issue yet so
> this will save me a lot of hair pulling.
> My main reason for the original question was if there was any other pitfalls
> on the MOBO between the models other than the sockets being the same. Now
> would any know where I gat get a Core 2 Duo 2.16 processor besides pulling
> one from a machine?

You're welcome, John. Sorry about the repeat of a good chunk of the text in my
original post. I've got a Magic Trackpad next to my shortie bluetooth Apple
keyboard, and for some reason that causes very strange things to happen to my
e-mail text from time to time. Usually I catch it, but this time I didn't.
Doesn't happen when I'm using a word processor, only with e-mail. Go figure.

There are no other pitfalls to be encountered, other than the usual
disassembly/assembly stuff that has to be done just so to avoid "problems."
Once you get to the bare cpu, all you have to do is insert a tiny flat blade
screwdriver into the slot, turn it 180 degrees, and the cpu is loose and ready
to be lifted out. Lots nicer than the old lift-the-lever sockets of olden dayes.

I bought my Core 2 Duo cpus on eBay for quite reasonable prices, so there's no
need to buy a complete Mac and strip it. Just make sure that the cpu you're
buying is compatible with the socket. A 2.16 Core 2 Duo mobile chip should be a
perfect, worry-free choice.

Have fun!

Jim