On Jun 29, 2012, at 2:50 PM, druidygal wrote:

> I wasn't able to install Applejack yesterday. I downloaded it and installed
> it, but then it wasn't there. I'll try again.

Applejack is only usable in Single User mode (hold down the S key at startup)

> Wasn't able to copy/paste anything from Console, it just blues out a line and
> I can't do anything with it. Is there some magic trick to be able to
> copy/paste the Console log?

control/right-click doesn't work but command c or selecting 'copy' from the
edit menu do:

>From mine running 10.6.8.

6/29/12 3:06:01 PM      com.apple.backupd[44061]        Starting standard backup
6/29/12 3:06:01 PM      com.apple.backupd[44061]        Backing up to:
/Volumes/TardisToo/Backups.backupdb

> I pulled the new RAM this morning and put the old back in, which so far is an
> improvement, though I'm still seeing a lot of error logs in Console, but so
> far today, no crashes (fingers crossed).

That pretty well nails it as the RAM being the problem.

> Tech Tool showed the same failures when I redid the scan. My next step is to
> do a clean install of Snow Leopard.

You might try running APpleJack, then Disk Repair. Permissions repair won't
rally fix anything unless you're getting explicit permissions errors in the
logs.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona