At 2:50 PM -0700 6/29/2012, druidygal wrote:
I wasn't able to install Applejack yesterday. I downloaded it and installed it, but then it wasn't there. I'll try again.

To elaborate on Bruce's reply... AppleJack is a special shell script that is run from Single User Mode. It is NOT a normal app -- so it won't "be there" where you expect. (Technically, it lives within OS X's Unix underbelly, in /private/var/root/Library/Scripts/, instead of /Applications).

To run AppleJack, get into Single User Mode by holding down cmd-S while restarting your Mac. You'll see the Unix kernel of OS X load, then it will drop you at a command prompt. Type "applejack", without the quotes, and hit return. It's pretty self-explanitory after that. At this point, just tell it to repair the disk. DO NOT run all the other tasks [*see below].

When AppleJack is done, reboot. That boot will take a bit longer than normal, as it has to rebuild the kernel caches.

I pulled the new RAM this morning and put the old back in, which so far is an improvement,

good.

but so far today, no crashes (fingers crossed).

great!

Tech Tool showed the same failures when I redid the scan. My next step is to do a clean install of Snow Leopard.

Why would your next step be to reinstall the OS? You are not running Windows. OS X does NOT corrupt itself normally.

It would be better if you worked to determine the actual cause of the problems - hardware or software - THEN take the appropriate action. Otherwise, reinstalling - that's the equivalent of replacing the oil in your car when the problem is that you have flat tires! It's the type of thing that really poor tech support people tell you to do, just to get you off the phone.

[*] Seriously. Think about what you're doing. You have an unstable system, so you need to do as little as possible. You DO NOT want to make things worse. DO NOT repair permissions, for example. That just makes no sense - in an unstable system you want to run around making changes to the operating system's files???? No. Keep it simple. JUST repair the file system itself.

At this point you have TWO potential problems. 1) Memory failure. 2) corrupted HFS+ file system on your HD.

While the memory is borked, you don't want to muck with the HD, because to fix the HD, the computer has to read data into that potentially failing memory!!!!! oops. Ok. You put in the old memory and things seem more stable. That's good. You addressed (1) first. If the machine really seems more stable, then Ok, NOW it's probably safe to repair that drive. Do that with AppleJack. Then see how things run. If things seem better, AppleJack it again, telling it to do everything. Then see how things run. THEN make a good backup. THEN consider trying that new memory again...

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.