At 8:57 AM -0700 7/14/2012, Al Poulin wrote:
 > wrt YouTube make sure you're not trying to view the higher definition
 versions of the videos.  At 1 Mb, one should expect those to be
 glitchy.

Thanks, I'm passing this on to her. So the 1 MB RAM is rather minimum
for some downstreaming.

Do not confuse 1 Mb -- 1 megabit per second -- DSL speed, with the 1 GB RAM in her iMac.

1 GB RAM is *certainly* enough to play video. Few apps require more than 40 to 80 MB RAM to play a video, including buffers. Safari bumps its memory usage by only about 30 MB when playing a video on YouTube. The issue of 1 GB RAM being a minimum is wrt to the system as a whole - all the processes Leopard runs, plus Dashboard, Spotlight, and the user apps that all tend to be piggy - it adds up. But again, a GIGABYTE of memory is a LOT -- that amount of memory DOES NOT restrict video playing IN ANY WAY.

The slow DSL speed can be quite restrictive, however. For example, when I play a YouTube video in Safari, it spikes to up around 3 Mbps as the buffers initially load (I have 15 Mbps service), then levels out to around 700 Mbps for a while, then spikes back to 1.5 to 2 Mbps as it rebuffers.

If you view the network throughput using Activity Monitor, or even iStat Menus, while playing such videos, she should get a better idea if that's the bottleneck.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.