Hi there,

On and off, our main iMac has been working extremely slowly. It will
take an eternity to start up into Mac OS X, then after logon it MAY or
may not work fine. However, most of the time on logon, and nearly all
of the time after a good working half hour of light use (Internet,
Mail, Finder, etc.), the computer will start operating at a CRAWL. By
this I mean constant beachball spinning, no response in either your
active program, or the dock, or the menus. The apple menu does not
open when clicked. There are only two things to do when this situation
arises - wait until the computer responds again, which can be anywhere
from 4 minutes to many hours (not kidding!) or force power off the
computer. Then you have to wait and wait and wait for the long startup
time, and hope that you can finish what you need to do before
something acts up again and the system is frozen. The system has
become so unusable, I have set up a ten year old Windows XP computer
for use, and it works much faster and properly compared to the iMac.
So obviously something is wrong here.

I can trigger a less extreme version of this by opening the Spotlight
icon on the menu bar, after clicking the icon, the computer will
beachball, all open apps and the dock will not respond, but this only
lasts about 2 or 3 minutes, after which you can search or exit out,
and it continues working. Many times I have thoughtlessly entered a
search, thinking it would be faster than manually browsing for it on
the disk, then in dismay see my system freeze up.

The system is an iMac Core 2 Duo Penryn (April 2008), with 3 GB of RAM
installed, a 320 GB Apple hard disk that came with the system, and OS
X 10.5.8 with all the latest updates. I have used disk utility on a OS
X DVD to do a full check of the disk system for errors, and it came
back clean. I ran AppleJack with all of the repairs, but that didn't
make a difference. I do think the problem is storage related, because
I ran the startup in verbose mode, and I kept seeing messages about I/
O delay errors flashing by on the screen. However, I don't know how to
properly troubleshoot this or narrow it down.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks all,
Dan