On Sep 23, 2012, at 7:35 PM, janespra...@comcast.net wrote:

> I just bought a new 2T external drive to use for my iMac back up. I use
> SuperDuper to back up and of course, Time Machine. So at least 2 partitions.
> Now throw this into the mix: TechToolPro.
>
> Micromat suggests I make an edrive of TTP to use as a start up drive. ( From
> Micromat: Note that the eDrive is a preferable option to the DVD (for 10.6,
> which I am using), being faster, more functional, and easier to update.
> Because it appears that Apple is no longer going to update the boot DVD that
> we use, the eDrive will be more compatible moving forward.)
>
> Micromat suggested that I make a partition on my internal drive for the
> edrive. But wouldn't I have to erase the whole drive and start over?

I see no reason to have the eDrive on the internal because usually the internal
has a problem that needs to be addressed with an external tool,

> So, how large should the partitions be for a SuperDuper back up (I have a 500
> gig hard drive), Time machine and TechToolPro edrive?

You need 500 for the SuperDuper back up. And the eDrive partition will be as
small as Disk Utility will allow you to make. I would put it on a USB thumb
drive.

> I am also wondering if I should add a 4th partition and leave it blank for
> future use.

I would leave all the space I have left for Time Machine, it can be a real
hog:-)

John Carmonne
Yorba Linda CA
92886 USA