I have a 20" G4 that I maxed the RAM out in, and installed a new DVD-RW into.
You can get the DVD-RW at Newegg for about $12.00 and the RAM you can max out
to 2GB with 1 GB RAM strips.  You can get that from them too.

Now, I'm not sure if your 17" can go up to 2GB RAM or not.  There's a free
program called MacTracker that'll look-up your exact iMac model and tell you
the max you can go to.

Then on iFixIt.com, you can find directions for doing the surgery... but it
sounds like you've already been in there, so this should be a walk in the park.

With the new DVD-RW, you'll really be able to utilize the Mac and have some fun
with it.

Good Luck--God Bless!
On Oct 23, 2012, at 7:27 PM, Jim Scott <jesco...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2012, at 3:44 PM, MacBob61 <macbo...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I recently picked up a nice iMac "Flat Panel" G4 700MHz. This came with the
>> CD-RW drive. Since I wanted to be able to use DVDs (and also install
>> Leopard), I replaced the CD-RW drive with a DVD-ROM drive from one of my old
>> PCs. It actually works very well, with a couple of very minor exceptions:
>>
>> 1) The drive is completely invisible (and therefore unusable) in Disk
>> Utility.
>> 2) The "eject.menu" icon in the menu bar shows "No Drives" when attempting
>> to eject.
>>
>> The Disk Utility issue hasn't proven to be a problem yet. But, if the Eject
>> key on my keyboard ever died, the 2nd issue could become a problem. Anyway,
>> does anyone have any ideas as to why these issues exist?
>
> Yep, set the jumper to CS (cable select) and you should be in business.
> Confirm that setting by looking at the jumper setting on the CDRW you
> removed. If that doesn't work, you may have a cross-platform compatibility
> issue, which is not surprising given the age of the hardware.
>
> Jim Scott
> Eureka, CA

J. R. Rosen
jrose...@sbcglobal.net