On Oct 31, 2012, at 5:08 AM, MacBob61 <macbo...@cox.net> wrote:

> While looking further into this, i did discover something interesting. If I
> boot up the Panther install CD and run its Disk Utility, it sees the DVD
> drive as well as the media in it perfectly fine!
>
> In my mind, this has to be a Leopard issue. My hope is that one of you who
> are truly expert in OS X might point me to some configuration file that I
> could modify in order to fix this. I wouldn't know where to begin to look.

This is remarkably peculiar, because Leopard was the OS version that completely
did away with all the nonsense about 'supported' and 'unsupported' drives, and
OS X went to an industry standard.

What happens if you boot from your 10.5 installer disk?

First thing to do is determine if it's a problem with the system or your user
account. Create a new admin user, log off and log in as the new user. See if it
works as expected. If not it's a system issue, if it does, it's something in
your user settings somewhere.

If it's a system issue:

If you have Applejack <http://applejack.sourceforge.net/> installed, which I
HIGHLY recommend, I'd run that first, see if it fixes things. Next I'd apply
the latest 10.5 combo update. If THAT didn't work, I'd try re-installing the
OS, but only as a last resort, you shouldn't need to do this sort of thing.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona