Well, after some more investigating, I find that the cause of this "problem" is, in fact, Disk Utility itself!

To determine this, I booted into Leopard and inserted the Panther install CD - searched the CD and found its version of DU. Ran it (again, under Leopard) - it saw the DVD drive & CD perfectly. Quit Panther's DU and started Leopard's DU - it did not see the DVD drive. I'd say that this is conclusive.

I used the Show Package Contents feature to look into all the files which make up DU, and hopefully find some configuration that I could change. I found nothing that appeared to be relevant. So it appears that I'm at a dead end here. It doesn't appear that I'll be able to change it to see DVD-ROM drives.

Unless someone has another idea, it looks like I'm at the end of the road on this issue.

Bob