I've had a 20-inch core duo imac for nearly 2 years. Bought off ebay this has
been my only machine for most of this time. Since i got it i have had video and
or overheating issues. Only now that i have replaced it as my main machine do i
feel confident enough to try to fix it. After being on for awhile i get random
horizontal lines and partial lines, video artifacts, program crashes, frozen
screens necessitating hard reboots. The more i tax the system the quicker and
worse the problems develop. Speeding up the fans with SMC Fan Control helped a
little, as did leaving it just in front of a window ac. Even so, these fixes
were minimal.

Things that have been suggested to me as the problem range from perhaps a loose
connection to a failing motherboard. If possible i would like to fix this
thing, and figure i may as well try to upgrade it if going that route. So, my
questions are these...

-from these symptoms, what should i try to replace first?

-can i get a core 2 duo board and processor from a 20-inch that would fit into
this core duo chasis?

-would that combo likely solve the problem, or must i consider changing the
screen as well (color seems good with only a handful of bad pixels).

-would this be a doable project overall, or be too costly to bother?

-is there any way this could be a harddrive-related issue? I ask that because
another alternative is to replace the smaller and noisier hd on my newer core 2
duo with the one in my original machine.

Thanks for your suggestions!

-bill