On Dec 10, 2012, at 11:07 AM, b...@wa.net wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2012, at 10:05 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:
>>>

>> When you start the Snow leopard install, one of the first things you're
>> offered is to transfer your files via Migration Assistant. Network
>> connections are one of the options or you can connect the two via Firewire,
>> as well. Works like a charm, no fussing with permissions or anyhting like
>> that.
>

> Thanks, this sounds near perfect! The one change i would like to make is my
> user name. Is there a way i can do this before, during, or after the install?

After the install you can use Migration assistant with one VERY IMPORTANT
caveat: you cannot migrate a user from the old disk that has the same name as a
user on the new one.

So don't set up the new OS, then create the account 'bill' and then try to
migrate 'bill' from the old one.

Migrating before is not possible, since the disk is unformatted. Really, doing
it while the OS is being set up is the most painless way to go about it. Don't
over-think this, it's a bit of 'it just works' technology.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona