On Jan 22, 2013, at 2:36 PM, D. Fabel wrote:

> My daughter is using a few old iMac G3 slot-loaders for a kiosk-style
> informational video for her robotics team's upcoming competition.  She has
> put together a video in iMovie, but we can't seem to find the "right"
> settings to get the video to playback smoothly in Quicktime (these are
> 400-500MHz, 768MB-1GB Ram, running 10.4).  She's tried exporting the video to
> a Quicktime movie using various settings, but nothing has worked so far - the
> audio is always great, but the video just can't keep up.  Would anyone happen
> to know what format the video would need to be for this to work well?

For starters, crank the video resolution as LOW as it will go (640x480 if you
can).  This way the video decoder doesn't have to deal with as many pixels.

> The solution she has come up with is to create a DVD with iDVD, move the
> TS_Video folder to the hard drive, and then run the video using DVD player.
> Unfortunately, this only works on the iMac's that have an internal DVD drive.
>  The ones that are CD only refuse to let the DVD player app start up.  Is
> there a work around for that?  I would love to put a few kids movies on one
> of these old boxes as a video "babysitter" while my wife and I steal a few
> moments together away from my youngest.

I'm not certain about this but the machines without a DVD drive may not have
the DVD decoding hardware so if you can get it to play the TS_Video folder it
would have to use software so you are back to the same problem as with
QuickTime.

I think you are pretty much stuck though, other than using DVD playback, the G3
just isn't up to full sized video playback.