On Jul 15, 2013, at 4:22 AM, Stuart <stuar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My G5 20" would not connect to my wireless ADSL Router. Tried to update the
> system, (10.5.8) but needed to install 10.5.6 first. I believe (rather late
> at night)  I clicked 'Archive & Install' but disclicked on 'save network
> settings' as I wanted new network drivers installed.
> 465 G HD is showing 191 G available so 275 g on disk - I presume there is
> much more on drive than just 10.5.6.
> How can I find old sys & files? Old sys is not offered on 'select startup
> disk'

I just went through getting wifi to work (finally) on my G5 tower.  After much
googling found out that 10.5.6 is very flaky when it comes to wifi so you
definitely want to be on 10.5.8.  Also are you getting a failed connection
message or an invalid password message?  I was originally getting failed
connection but after fiddling about I started getting invalid password.  I knew
the password was correct but it just refused to accept it.  Turns out I had to
allow WPA passwords on my Airport Extreme router and select WPA for passwords
on the G5 (WPA2 wouldn't work).
A couple of things people reported re upgrading to 10.5.8 - first you need to
be sure to install the 10.5.8 combo update last after other upgrades are
installed.  Also I had to make the ethernet service (network settings panel)
inactive for my Airport card to work (got rid of the failed connection message
and then became invalid password, which I described above).
Now it works fine, although it is slower than ethernet, but I got rid of that
long cable :)
Hope this helps.
Joe

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.