Il giorno 31/10/13 13.04, "Shields E-mail" ha scritto:

> The power button on the iMac is getting glitchy making me nervous
> that it will die before I have a plan.
If you decide to get another (used) Mac, keep in mind any G3 and most G4
models will support OS9 (any PowerMac G4 except the G4 MDD FW 800, and the
first flat-panel iMacs). They all should be really cheap now.

I had a PowerMac G4 for several years, and it was a fine machine.
You could connect the two Macs with a Firewire cable (in Target disk mode),
and transfer your data that way (moving System data may be tricky, though).

> Currently I
> back up to a flash drive but there is only one compatible flash drive I have
> found. I purchased many others but they did not work.
Odd, they all should work - as long as they're formatted as FAT (PC) or HFS
(Mac).
Size bigger than 4 GB might be less compatible.

Anyway, flash drives aren't a very reliable way to backup. You'd better get
an external HD drive with Firewire interface (USB in OS9 is sloooow).

> I envision severe problems with data migration
Data migration in OS9 is not that hard... but you have to know where some
files reside. An OS9-knowledgeable guy could do it in less than an hour.

Perhaps you might get better help on the LEM OS9 List:
http://lowendmac.com/lists/macos9.html

> Any advice desperately sought, thank you all.
I'd suggest to find a well-kept iMac similar to yours (but perhaps newer),
and get some help from someone OS9-savvy for data transfer.
That would be the easiest solution (at least for some more years), both for
you and your staff.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.