On Oct 31, 2013, at 9:11 AM, John AOL wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Fabian Fang wrote:
>

>>> I actually have another old iMac and I connected the two and put one on the
>>> other but could not unlock the software and still cannot restart from a
>>> backup.
>>
>> Some 2000 iMac models have FireWire (400) ports, in which case you can
>> reboot from an external FireWire hard drive.  You cannot boot from external
>> USB drives with such old iMacs. Once again, it would be helpful if you would
>> specify your iMac models.
>>
>> Fabian
>>

> You can boot 2000 iMac with USB as long as the drive is externally powered
> plus it will boot on a USB flash drive too.

Yup, I didn't know you could until I accidentally did it one day.  But be
advised, it is agonizingly slow due to the USB 1.1 interface.  As in it may
take several minutes to see any indication that it is booting and it can take
quite some time to complete booting (maybe 30 minutes, I don't recall).  If you
are copying a disk this way, you're best off just letting it run overnight.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.