I recently got my 24" mid-2007 iMac running Mavericks back from my fiancee,
intending to try to learn iOS development with Xcode. One of the first
things I noticed was that the GPU Diode was running extremely hot. 100C at
idle, and 120C when taxing the GPU with XCOM Enemy Unknown. To try and
resolve this, I downloaded a couple of fan control programs, SMC Fan
Control and Macs Fan Control. Now I'm running at about 80C idle, which
still seems high.

After installing both programs, then disabling Macs Fan Control, I noticed
that the iMac wouldn't sleep properly. Figuring that was the price I would
pay for fan control, I shut down the Mac for the evening. When I powered it
on today, it wouldn't start. After I reset the SMC, it booted fine. Is this
related to the fan control programs? Anyone else ever have this problem?

To sum up, anyone else have suggestions for keeping my Mac cool? I
disassembled the iMac and blew the dust out about a year ago, which helped
a lot. Should I do that again? Completely taking the thing apart is a real
pain. I've also read that Mavericks pushes the GPU really hard, which may
account for the high temps.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Eric

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.