On Sep 26, 2016, at 3:01 PM, Julia Brinckloe
<jmbri...@gmail.com<mailto:jmbri...@gmail.com>> wrote:

Wow, big thanks for the extensive response. And appreciate reminder of the
security issue--which Mac users didn't have prior to the whole intel
partnership. At least it seemed Mac code was better written.

Ehhh, it more of a ‘a lot more people are using them’ kind of thing, the Mac
user base is big enough to attract attention, and the bad guys are becoming a
teensy bit less Windows centric; still 99.9% of all the exploits are for
Windows machines.

FYI my main system is the Mac mini and a Dell PC sharing a monitor, mouse and
tablet on a switch. They share peripherals via a home network. I like your
solution--to clone Mavericks on an external drive and upgrade the main drive.
I'd partition my main drive but at 500GB it's not so big these days. (My first
computer was an IBM Headstart PC with no hard drive at all--everything stored
on floppies. And my first Mac had a 20 MB HD and 8 or 16 MB RAM. Technology
flies..)

Mine was an Apple ][+ with two floppies…good ol’ days!  Even my first Mac (a
Plus) only had two floppy drives to start. I remember the day I went to  the
local computer store’s clearance event and picked up a staggeringly huge 30mb
SCSI HDD. I would NEVER run out of space with THAT huge thing! ROFL. Now I
carry around a ‘tiny’ 2GB USB thumb drive around in my pocket...

I'm wondering if I have to install Yosemite before upgrading to El Capitan. But
I'm sure Apple has an FAQ on that.

No you do not. You can update directly from OS’es as old as 10.6.8. You WILL
need to find a copy of El Capitan somewhere, because the only one available
from Apple now is Sierra. Apple only ever offers a single version at a time.
Your Mac WILL run macOS Sierra, though, and based on short experience on my
test machine, it’s about the same size/speed/disk footprint..

I confess I'm most reluctant to part with Mavericks because I live ten minutes
away from the real thing, and seeing it on my desktop, I'm home.

The Mavericks Waves pictures are still part of the built-in desktop pics in
Sierra…

Thanks again. You know your stuff.
<='o }

Thanks!

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.