On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 11:45 AM Russell Courtenay
<unknownid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will be interested to see others comments on this, I have been using iMovie
> since I got an OS X machine in 2008 for my silly YouTube channel and love it.
>
> My first videos edited and played nicely on my 400MHz Pismo but the 4 minute
> video took 20 hours to render to MP4 and then I couldn’t play them back!
> Still there on YouTube and work fine on newer machines...

Today's YouTube on anything but an Intel Mac is going to be pure
torture, if it works at all. I can get videos to play at maybe 1-2 fps
in 240p on my G4 1.42 GHz using TenFourFox; a Pismo probably wouldn't
work at all. The G4 and its contemporary graphics chipsets don't have
hardware decoding for the VP9 codec that YouTube uses, and the G4
series of CPUs just don't have the raw power to do it in real-time.

[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer
-Purveyor of Classic Apple & Macintosh Gear
http://www.hsiprodsvcs.com/
http://www.macshack.us/