The problem is that too many people arguing for eggs do this by
sending nastygrams, which doesn't really provide much motivation for
doing anything about it (I don't do asshole-driven development).  The
public review PIL got a couple a minutes ago matches some of the
private mail I've gotten:

   no egg - worst seen ever, remove it from pypi or provide an egg
(jensens, 2009-10-05, 0 points)

</F>