This would seem like a common question, but after looking through the list
archives (back to 1999!), I was unable to find a resolution.  I did find the
same question raised a couple of times, but no definitive answer.

How can a client securely retrieve their email using IMAP or POP3?  That is,
if they have sensitive messages in their mailbox, they want the retrieval of
those messages to be encrypted.

Of course, if the client is using the web interface, then they can use SSL.
However, many clients can't or won't use the web interface.  They want the
same sort of SSL-type encryption via IMAP (or POP3).

I also know that if we have control over the sender and the receiver (such
as customers within a single company), then we can use source/destination
encryption, such as PGP at each desktop.

However, if the message is sitting on the mail server in unencrypted format,
then how can the client safely/securely retrieve the message via IMAP?  I've
seen some discussion on possibly setting up an stunnel gateway, but that is
more elaborate than we want to get into.  Anyway solutions that don't
involve a gateway?  That just work naturally with IMail?

Thank,

Ben Bednarz
BC Web