Hello,

Recently I was faced with a problem: too many user calls about
expired passwords. Well, I thought, why not inform people by mail,
that their password is valid, but already expired and they have to
change it? Turned out to be quite easy.

As I use PAM (actually PMB, as it's Solaris), here is the patch:
http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~chopin/unix/imap-2004a+pam_expired_passwd.diff

It should be fairly easy to do the same for ckp_sv4 and ckp_svo.

Few words about setup: I added "imappublic2" account (as "imappublic"
I already have used in my "force gently ssl" patch), but this can be any
account (it seems it can be safely locked), make its $HOME/mail readonly,
create $HOME/.mailboxlist with "INBOX" line, also read only, create mailbox
to contain your message (don't forget to tell clients that their password
is valid, but they are required to change it) and also chmod it 0444,
so it is not possible to delete this message, obviously. To prevent
clients from refetching this message over and over again, header like
should help.

p.

PS My message is available (polish and english text) at
http://akson.sgh.waw.pl/~chopin/unix/passwd_expired.html

--
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his
heart he dreams himself your master.   -- Commissioner Pravin Lal