The first thing is that the ipop[23]d and imapd daemons do *NOT* listen on the ports; they just do stdio. The listener is either inetd, xinetd, or launchd.

Since the daemons do not listen, they don't do any hosts.allow processing either. That is done entirely by TCP wrappers, inetd, xinetd, or launchd depending upon how your system is setup.

In your case, the answer is probably "launchd".

I can't vouch for any third-party distributions. Have you tried obtaining the software directly from the UW FTP server on:
        ftp://ftp.cac.washington.edu/mail/imap.tar.Z
and then building using the command:
        make oxp

For what it's worth, I have a Mac Mini at home and run the servers using xinetd instead of launchd. I didn't want to be bothered to learn how to use launchd; it's enough effort to keep track of inetd and xinetd.

However, someone once sent me a launchd script that he claimed works for imapd. I haven't looked to see how it differs from yours.

<plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
        <key>Disabled</key>
        <false/>
        <key>Label</key>
        <string>imap4</string>
        <key>ProgramArguments</key>
        <array>
          <string>/usr/local/libexec/imaps</string>
        </array>
        <key>inetdCompatibility</key>
        <dict>
          <key>Wait</key>