Mark, et al,

Hopefully by now my next email has hit the list. Again - I would like to apologize for my blunt response.

As for the rush to convert over to 64 bit - I thought that I had made the reasons clear in my original posting. In order for us to use imap functions in php we need to include reference to libc-client library. If we can't get it to work 64 bit then everything else, the apache web server, mysql database, etc, etc, must be built 32 bit. That is a huge penalty for one and only one piece software to impose on our entire deployment. The 64 bit issue in UW imap really appears to be very basic - casting 64 bit pointers to 32 bit integers isn't going to result in the correct result runtime. The solution doesn't seem that onerous and we would be willing to pay any developer who would be willing to work on this. It is that important to us.

Mark, you can have access to our Solaris 10 system 24/7 to do whatever development and testing you deem necessary. We can also provide access to a Solaris 2.8 system in case you want to test backwards compatibility.

Mark Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 14 Dec 2006, Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: Re: [Imap-uw] 2006d Solaris 64 bit compile issues, Bob said...:
> Oh well, I pretty much expected the responses I got. Amazing how Mark's view > along with apparently the majority of this respondents can be so limited for > an open source package like this.
I think you should read what Mark had to say about this issue before
you jump to too many conclusions.

Thank you, Tim (and John Kelly too!).

Indeed, the problem is solely one of lack of resources.  Those resources aren't going to come any faster just because someone scolds me over it not happening sooner.

Currently, my systems at UW (and home!) are 32-bit.  NONE of them are Solaris.  Solaris support is basically a matter of groping/guessing in the dark, with actual login on someone's Solaris system every few years.

I also face a fairly major effort for imapd at UW which will likely monopolize most of my work time for the next several months.

The only way, right now, that 64-bit Solaris support will happen any faster than it would under the normal scheme of things is if either:

 (1) someone contributes the necessary changes in a way that can be
     deployed in the existing source without breaking existing ports.
     [Hint: a massive change of code or build procedures requires
     equally massive regression testing and is not likely to happen.
     A small set of patches that does the minimum needed to solve the
     problem in the existing framework is another matter entire.]

 (2) someone gives me a 64-bit Solaris computer for my home so I have a
     platform to develop/test on, and enough motivation to donate my
     non-work hours to solving this problem.  Solaris is always a
     crapshoot, and I've currently very reluctant to change things in a
     Solaris build since I don't know what I might break.

Not that I really want another computer at home (particularly not SVR4!) and Annie would probably scream if there was something else that stole more time away from having a life...

With all this said, it is true that I am a bit bewildered as to the undue rush to convert to 64-bit.

Nothing in this software is likely to benefit from running in 64-bit mode. I doubt that it would run any faster; and likely it would run slower because more memory is consumed.  64-bits, on the surface, seems to have only the cosmetic benefit of saying "I'm running 64-bit clean with no 32-bit code polluting my system."

So, it is difficult for me to think of reasons why I should drop other tasks to work on 64-bit.  I think that mix administrative tools (better conversion than mailutil, fixup tool, etc.), support for IMAP extensions (e.g., CONDSTORE, ANNOTATE, LIST-EXTENSIONS, and especially the LEMONADE work for mobile device support) are all of much all higher priority.

There's only so much time in a day...or a lifetime...

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

--
Untitled Document
Bob Atkins

DigiLink, Inc.
Business Inter-net-working
The Cure for the Common ISP!

Phone: (310) 577-9450
Fax: (310) 577-3360
eMail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

begin:vcard
fn:Bob Atkins
n:Atkins;Bob
org:DigiLink, Inc.
adr;dom:Suite 408;;4676 Admiralty Way;Marina Del Rey;CA;90292
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:President/CEO
tel;work:310-577-9450
tel;fax:310-577-3360