Mark Crispin wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007, Oscar del Rio wrote:
What's the recommended way to move a Unix INBOX to mbx format so that POP3 clients (with "keep messages on server for # days") don't download duplicates the next time they connect?

The problem is endemic to the mailutil program. There is no mechanism in the c-client library to set the UID map of a destination mailbox, so mailutil ends up writing a new mailbox with consecutive UIDs starting from 1 rather than the original UIDs in the source mailbox.

However, if you use mix instead of mbx, there is a program called mixcvt which will write a mix mailbox with the same UID map as the source mailbox. mixcvt uses c-client to read the source mailbox, but its own code to write the destination. That unique code will create a mix mailbox that is readable by the c-client library and doesn't violate c-client's rules too badly.

That's good news! We're planning to move to mix format anyway (I'm already using mix for some mailboxes but not INBOX), this will encourage us to go ahead with mix format sooner. I was not sure if converting to mix would have the same behavior (duplicates) for POP3 users, thanks for clarifying that. I already have the mixcvt program.

It's a "small matter of programming" to write a similar program for mbx; but I'm not going to do it.

I don't think there's need for it.  mixcvt IS the way to go!   :)

Thanks, Mark and everyone.

Oscar