>From our experience an mbx filesize can easily be in the 500-800MB range and still result in good performance. Much depends on the particular filesystem, processor and memory as to what the optimum size can be. I would like to see this number as being easily tunable so that we can all adjust it to suit the performance capabilities of our various systems.

Per Foreby wrote:
I have changed MIXDATAROLL in src/osdep/unix/mix.c, and was a bit surprised when I used mixcvt and got the default filesize.

If this definition was moved to a common include file, say c-client/mix.h, all mix applications could share the same setting.

Talking about mix filesize, I settled for (4*MEGABYTE), which is somewhere in the middle of the span that has been discussed previously on this list.

The reason why I have increased the size is simply to get more manageably directory listings, but I have no idea what the optimum filesize is. Too small files will behave like maildir, and too large files will be like mbx with its poor backup performance.

The optimal setting will of course depend on mail size and volume, but there should be some sort of best practice which could be used on most installations.

Has anyone made a serious attempt to see how large the files can be before they start to affect backup performance, or is everybody guessing?

/Per

Untitled Document
Bob Atkins
President/CEO