If you are not seeing any "imap service init" or "imap SSL service init" messages in your syslog, then the imapd binary is probably never getting started.

Review your xinetd configuration, and also your /etc/services. Make sure that is all set up correctly.

Note that you can not telnet to port 993 in any reasonable way, since that port is SSL encrypted. You can telnet to port 143, but logins will probably be disabled on a port 143 until after TLS encryption is negotiated. However, that will verify that imapd is starting.