I have built uw-imap on RedHat 5 Server and am *so close* to getting it
working.  I'm using
the SSL 2006k version with all default settings.  I am invoking it via xinetd
and that
appears to be working (I get start and exit messages in /var/log/message). I
try to connect
from either a Outlook 2003 client or just probing with telnet <host> 993.  But
when using the
xinetd spawned demon it immediately shuts down with return code 1.  So I shut
down xinetd
and tried starting imapd manually and probing but it doesn't seem to attach to
the 993 socket
and I receive a connection refused message (also tried 143, 220 and 585 ports).

I can compare results to a much earlier version of uw-imap I have on a RH7.3
system I am
trying to replace (the RH7.3 system imap works flawlessly).  Is the imapd not
set up to be
started manually as a demon listening to port 993?  Is there a command line or
compile time
option to emit more debugging info?  I don't know why the port is closing
immediately and
all I see in the syslog file is

Oct 12 09:41:28 ice9 xinetd[7609]: START: imaps pid=12768 from=15.9.73.143
Oct 12 09:41:28 ice9 xinetd[7609]: EXIT: imaps status=1 pid=12768
duration=0(sec)

Any other suggestions or troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks in advance.

        Nic Lyons