On Thu, 21 May 2009, Mark Crispin wrote:

On Thu, 21 May 2009, Andrew Daviel wrote:
If in Thunderbird the option "server supports folders which can contain both folders and messages" is checked

No client should ever have, or need, such a configuration option. This is handled by the IMAP protocol.

With the option set, the GUI has a single option "create subfolder".
With it clear, it asks if you want a folder or a directory.
As far as I can see, with MBX or Unix, "create test" will
do open ("test", O_RDWR) and "create test/" will do mkdir ("test").

In RFC 3501 you say "If the mailbox name is suffixed with the .. hierarchy separator .. the client intends to create mailbox names under this name". Which implies that the client needs to know which to create. Since the server workings are (rightly) hidden from users, and the paradigm is that a folder on a GUI desktop contains both files and folders, users will assume that a folder can contain both subfolders and messages.

Maybe I am missing something, but I can't see anything in the protocol for a client to determine whether a server can create subfolders without testing it.

Andrew