As I understand it, header and body searches in IMAP typically take place in real time, meaning that if the client requests a word search with no date restrictions, the server has to read all files comprising a folder looking for the word, which can take a long time if the folder is very large.

(As I run dmail and Pine on my desktop, often I will use "grep" directly on the mail folders to find which folder something is in, and given mostly ASCII messages, it's often good enough to tell me what I want to know. But that's not an option for most people accessing a server via IMAP, and it's still slower than using an index - such as, I believe, Google desktop with POP clients)

I was wondering if it was possible to use a regularly-computed word index to speed up searching, as per Web search engines.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada