On Fri, 22 May 2009, Andrew Daviel wrote:

I was wondering if it was possible to use a regularly-computed word index to speed up searching, as per Web search engines.

Hmm .. I can point htdig at my tinymail webmail interface, which uses SSL/HTTP basic auth, setuid and preauthenticated httpd. A bit of tweaking at both ends, to make tinymail not so tiny and to make the HTML better optimized for searching and replace some POST links with followable GET links, and I might have a passable searchable mailstore. But not searchable via IMAP - at least, not without a lot of hacking.

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada