At the time I was in a hurry to restore service.  I killed 20+ imapd
processes running as root, and that didn't help.  What did help was to
restart inetd, which had apparently stopped listening on port 995; port 995
no longer was visible in output from netstat -t -l -n.

Thanks for the pointers.  I'll have to look into those.

The other thing I have done since then is to add fail2ban filters (a similar
effect to iptables rate-limiting, I suppose) as described here:

http://sourceforge.net/p/fail2ban/mailman/message/34070114/

fail2ban is a pretty flexible tool; I recommend it.  iptables rate-limiting
is probably more elegant and more efficient.

While inspecting logs prior to creating the fail2ban filter, I found
evidence of other scanning projects including eecs.umich.edu and shodan.io.
Those appeared to be a single connection at a time, while sba-research.org
attempted >400 connections in a span of 10 seconds.  (this server typically
has 700 non-spam messages per day -- even assuming all arrive during working
hours, that's only about 90/hour, vs the 144000/hour rate of
sba-research.org)

Ken