At 2002-04-24 04:38, Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:

>Firstly, a thousand mailbox folders is a lot! :)

Well, no it's not. I keep all my mail (except junk) including outgoing. I
have done for several years. It's about 600M currently, in Claris
Emailer, but I'm looking to copy it over to the IMAP server I've just set
up. Currently, it's organised into 563 folders. I have 220 "Mail Actions"
to automatically file incoming mail into the correct folders. I spent
several days reverse-engineering the "Mail Actions" file format so I
could automatically convert it to a Sieve script.

It's nice to know when new mail has arrived, and where it is.

Email is my life. Hard-drive space is cheap. Should I be using IMAP for
permanently storing my email, or is it essentially merely a glorified
fetch-and-flush system, like POP3?

>If you want to check
>these folders, you should definitely use STATUS on each of them.
>
>123 STATUS INBOX.work (\Recent \Unseen)
>
>Imap clients should never open more connections to the server than
>*strictly necessary*.

There seems to be some disagreement on this. Ken Murchison on the Cyrus
list forwarded me this from Mark Crispin, concerning IMAP client
implementation:

# 8. Thou shalt not fear to open multiple IMAP sessions to the
# server; but thou shalt use this technique with wisdom.  For
# verily it is true; if thou doth desire to monitor continuously
# five mailboxes for new mail, it is better to have five IMAP
# sessions open on the mailboxes.  It is generally not good to
# do a succession of five SELECT or STATUS commands on a
# periodic basis; and it is truly wretched to open and close
# five sessions to do a STATUS or SELECT on a periodic basis.
# The cost of opening and closing a session is great, especially
# if that session is SSL/TLS protected; and the cost of a STATUS
# or SELECT can also be great.  By comparison, the cost of an
# open session doing an IDLE or getting a NOOP every few minutes
# is small.  Great praise shall be given to thy wisdom in doing
# what is less costly instead of "common sense."

also found here
<http://ftp.ist.utl.pt/pub/mail/imap/imap_archive_gz/imap_archive8>

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA