On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
> While I agree with your thoughts here, the bottom line is that these
> documents talk about quality-of-implementation issues. You do not
> *have* to reference them to implement the protocol, therefore they are
> by definition not normative references.

Well, what should I do?  Perhaps there should be a separate section for
so-called "informative" references which have normative content?
Remember that the old Host Requirements documents were in the same
position.

I'm worried because we have this idiot on comp.mail.imap claiming that
IMAP is something different from the specification due to his own twisted
reading of the specification (which includes totally disregarding the
formal syntax).  Granted that nothing can be done about his crusade, but
I'd like to take some sort of affirmative measures to prevent it from
happening by innocent mistake.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc