DINH Viet Hoa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > I find this a tough question to answer.  My inclination is just to close
> > the connection but I cannot offer much justification for that.  One
> > consideration is that, if you send a LOGOUT and then immediately close the
> > connection, it seems likely that the server will never see the LOGOUT.
>
> it will see it because it is TCP (reliable) layer.

It often will, TCP's reliability only goes so far.

Take the case where you're using a GUI MUA on a modem-connected machine.
You click the 'close' button on the MUA window and then the 'disconnect
modem' button.

Almost certainly, the packet containing the LOGOUT has been sent before
you manage to click the 'disconnect modem' button, but if that packet is
lost, the PPP connection is probably down before the retry would happen.

--Arnt