On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Jan Theofel wrote:
> The problem is, that we are not able to create subfolders. The error
> message using Outlook 2000 or Squirrelmail 2.10 is, "create failed,
> mailbox node /home/<username>/folder/ exists".
>
> The strange thing is that when we try to create a subfolder named
> "subfolder" in the folder named "folder" the error message is the
> above one.

If /home/<username>/mailbox is a flat-file mailbox, then it is impossible
to create a /home/<username>/mailbox/submailbox.  You can only create
names inside of directories, not files.  Some mailbox formats use
directories, meaning that you can create mailboxes inside a mailbox in
these formats; other mailbox format use files, meaning that that is the
terminal node in the name hierarchy.

This is the reason why the IMAP specification does not use the misleading
word "folder", and uses "mailbox" instead.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc