On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
>I am taking this offline to clarify some stuff...
>Andreas Aardal Hanssen wrote:
>> Which means that RENAME in practise will be _slower_ than
>> create, copy, delete.
>Please, explain how this follows.

I wrote

"Compliant is one thing, but bumping UIDVALIDITY for source and
destination mailboxes when renaming means that most offline clients have
to re-scan the folder and download headers.

Which means that RENAME in practise will be _slower_ than
create, copy, delete. So why do we need RENAME?"

Most clients have to re-scan all headers when UIDVALIDITY bumps. This does
not apply to - for instance - Pine. This scan will anyway often be slower
than submitting CREATE, then COPY, then DELETE.

If the IMAP-server gets a RENAME, sure it's fast for the _server_, but the
_client_ will be very slow. So - why do we need RENAME?

An online client will not bother too much with having to rescan the
folder, although doing a COPY on the server side will necessarily be
faster, unless ofcourse the server is seriously slow.

Andy

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen - Binc IMAP
http://www.bincimap.andreas.hanssen.name/