From: Barry Leiba [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 12:39 PM
To: IMAP Mailing List
Subject: Re: RENAME, once more

> Another problem came to my mind though: Should RENAME affect list of
> subscribed folders? Logically I'd say yes, but there's nothing in spec

> about that.

Nothing explicit?  I thought there was.  Mark's intent is that it should
NOT affect the subscribed list, since he intends it to be exactly that:
a list. Many implementations treat "subscribed" as an aspect of a
mailbox, though, and for those implementations the subscription goes
with the mailbox when the name changes.

The problem is that what you really WANT is dependent upon the
situation. Take these two examples:

(1)  CREATE PROJECT-APPLE
     SUBSCRIBE PROJECT-APPLE
     ...the Apple project gets renamed to "Banana" by management...
     RENAME PROJECT-APPLE PROJECT-BANANA

(2)  CREATE PAYCHECKS-CURRENT
     SUBSCRIBE PAYCHECKS-CURRENT
     ...the year ends...
     RENAME PAYCHECKS-CURRENT PAYCHECKS-2002
     CREATE PAYCHECKS-CURRENT

Barry
--
Barry Leiba, Internet Messaging Technology  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/l/leiba