On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> Suppose I have:
> * NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL (("shared/" "/"))

This seems like a poor namespace, since the public namespace name
("shared/") overlaps with the private namespace name with no
distinguishing prefix.  The convention, as described in RFC 3501, is to
use a prefix of "#", e.g.
        * NAMESPACE (("" "/")) NIL (("#shared/" "/"))

> If client does LIST "" %, is the "shared" allowed to be included in the
> list reply? What if their hierarchy separators are different? Listing
> them would help those clients that don't understand namespaces.

In my opinion, LIST "" % should only list the private namespace, and you
will cause much confusion (and ultimately grief) to clients if you
included other namespaces.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc