From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Christof Drescher
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 2:56 AM
To: Arnt Gulbrandsen
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Extension for status updates of non-selected mailboxes?

Arnt Gulbandsen wrote:
>TCP connections are cheap, once opened. And even opening can be cheap,
>depending on whether you're using TLS or not and what sort of
>authentication you're using.

It might be "cheap" for modern pc systems and only concerning the
Network
overhead. But for one, there are much smaller systems today (PDS's,
Smartphones, Embedded Devices) which certainly use IMAP, and for the
other,
the server has to keep this number of connections open as well, which
might - depending on implementation - be much mor "costly" than the mere
network connection.

>A worse problem is that a client can use this method only if it knows
>the server supports concurrent access to all of the relevant mailboxes.
>If the server doesn't, only one of the 20 users can observe new mail in
>each shared folder.

Puzzles me: Isn't a server broken if it does not?!?!

Christof